Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cyclops Snowman Cookies...

I have come to the conclusion after my very short amount of time on this earth, that being serious all the time is boring.  Yes, there is a time and place for seriousness, but I for one prefer to look at many things from a light-hearted side of life.  After all, there are so many good reasons to do so.  If you know me well enough, you know I happen to be a bit of a klutz.  So, I had to learn years ago that rather than get upset and mad at myself when I do something klutzy or nerdy, I just laugh.  Because if I didn't, I would get upset all the time.  I also really love to be as goofy as I can with my students.  I pick on them, they pick on me.  Ah yes, life is good.

And then there is my mother and I.  We can be such a dangerous combination.  I find her funny (usually) and she finds me funny (usually), and we tend to feed off of each other's humor.  So, after seeing the title of this entry, you are probably wondering..."What the heck?"  Allow me to explain.  It all started years ago when I was in college.  I came home one weekend (probably around my birthday) and begged mom to make sugar cookies.  Because Valentine's day was in a few weeks, we made heart cookies.  (Yes, this was back in the days when I thought Valentines' day was cool.)  So we made the cookies, and then went to frost them, and somehow, one of us made a mistake when we were going to give the cookies eyes and a smiley face, and the heart cookie became the "Cyclops heart cookie".  We thought it was hilarious.  Maybe no one else would have found it funny, and maybe you just had to be there, but let me tell you, it stuck and ever since then, it has been a running joke between us.  So this year, we decided to make Christmas cookies, and we got a little goofy.  (I was actually being far sillier - must have been all the samples of the sugary frosting I tasted...)  I was making cyclops trees, cyclops stars, and the best cookie of all...the giant cyclops snowman.  I also made a snowman look sick, and other generally abnormal things you wouldn't see on most Christmas cookies.  I figured, why not have a little fun?  After all, laughter is the best medicine.  May your Christmas be merry, bright, full of laughter and love and centered around the real reason for the season: Jesus. :-) 

In Christ,
Meg

 

No comments:

Post a Comment